Posted on | November 14, 2010
404 Not Found
Will Your Money Run Out?
Recently, “The Today Show” reported that more than 50 percent of Baby Boomers will likely outlive their money. They’ll have to rely on Social Security, charity, welfare and their children for support.
Not much has changed since the 1970s.
Back then, a Bureau of Labor Statistics study showed that by the time 100 American males reach age 65:
- 54 would still be financially dependent;
- 36 would be dead (although that’s improved since then);
- five would be working to provide the necessities;
- four would have an income that could sustain them;
- and one would be rich.
Why can’t 95 percent of Americans reach financial prosperity after 40 years of working?
I’ve noticed that 95 percent of Americans follow the same old financial advice. They sock money into IRAs and 401(k)s. They postpone taxes on retirement accounts.
They assume they’ll be in a lower tax bracket when they retire. They think the best way to get out of debt is to send more money to the mortgage company.
What is that 5 percent of the population doing differently? They’ve accumulated their money through conservative, predictable, tax-free methods.
Their money will last as long as they do. Yours can too.
I can teach you to avoid the Baby Boomer Blunders that are keeping you from prosperity.
- Using short-term investments for long-term goals;
- Assuming you’ll only live 15 to 20 years after retirement;
- Assuming that paying off your house will give you peace of mind;
- Thinking that a $100,000 to $300,000 nest egg will be enough;
- Thinking you’ll be in a lower tax bracket when you retire;
- Deferring taxes on retirement funds saves you taxes;
- IRAs and 401ks are the best ways to plan your retirement;
- Letting your money sit in IRAs and 401ks if you don’t need the money at 59.5 or 70.5;
- Viewing retirement as the time to do what you always wanted to do;
- Thinking retirement is the time to coast;
I explain all of these points and more in my e-books, “Baby Boomer Blunders” and “Create Your Own Economic Stimulus Plan: Save Yourself Because Big Government Can’t.”
In the second e-book, I describe 31 fortunes lost amid valid optimization and allocation strategies.
Two things are certain. Taxes are going up and dollars will be worth less. But you can reach what I call The Land of Peace and Abundance and join that 5 percent.